1.05.2009

The Art Of Listening

One of my found passions is people and part of my found purpose is to be a listener. To absorb the situations of others and in turn gain powerful realizations. Realizations that have taken me deeper within myself to know that there is more than just existing, more than the world that begins for us at birth, more to "be" if we look and listen, truly listen, not only to others but to ourselves, our hearts, and to God.

I think back through the years, through struggles and through joy. My life has been most dramatically touched by people who have listened, listened though not obligated, though not a direct part of my own personal tragedy. Just a voyeur in some capacity that took the time from their own journey to do what I now know was an integral part of my development. Those same people who listened so intently also ironically gave me the most valuable words to live by that I now find myself passing down as my own.

By nature, Humans need to be heard, they crave attention, validation. Each day, we take for granted those closest to us, we nod and smile at them while they tell us about their days experiences, all the while thinking about what we should cook for dinner, how much the dry cleaning bill was, or when the project is due at work. By nature, Humans are also selfish. We live by the principle of survival of the fittest and looking out for number one. But when it's our turn...our expectations suddenly soar beyond what we were able to give back.


Albert Einstein wrote, "Only a Life Lived For Others Is A Life Worth While."

People have so much to say and so much to give, and we have so much to gain if you just take the time to listen.

No comments: